Sunday, February 3, 2013

Nailed it or failed it.

It's craft time again! I got the idea for this weeks post from Pinterest but I don't have an original post for you for a couple reasons: 1- I never pinned it but if I search for it there are tons of different pins about it and 2- there are a few tips I'm going to post that came from another blogger but I couldn't find the exact pin that linked us to the blog. I'm sorry about that btw.

In this weeks post I'm going to talk about sharpie mugs!



All you need is a mug (or plate or bowl or whatever you want really), some rubbing alcohol (or improvise like me and take the alcohol swabs out of your first aid kit), and Sharpies!  The mug I used came in a set with plates and bowls and stuff that we got as a wedding gift from my Aunt Beckie.  I think it's ceramic but I'm not positive.  I read in the other blog that ceramic is what we're shooting for and honestly, the cheaper the better.  The reasoning behind that is that more expensive mugs (or plates or bowls or whatever) have a nicer glaze on them but in the cheaper mugs, when heated up, the glaze will actually bond with the markings better making it permanent, and that's the goal here sooooo I'm ok with that logic.  I honestly don't know anything about the quality/price point of these mugs (like I said, wedding gift) but my thought process was that I'd try it on one of these and if it worked I'd stick with it and post only this but of it didn't work I'd head to the Dollar Tree and work on round two. 

Now, background info aside, lets focus on the task.  First you need to thoroughly wipe down your canvas with rubbing alcohol (or alcohol swabs) to remove all the oils.   When drawing be mindful of where you put your fingers, the marker will have a hard time sticking if there's already crap there.  Then start drawing.  I used the metallic gold and metallic silver Sharpies and just kind of doodled.  Theoretically, if you mess up you should be able to wipe it away with some rubbing alcohol.  This was a little easier said than done but not impossible for me.  When you are done with your rendition of Starry Night (or the Mona Lisa, whatev) place it in the oven and turn it up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Don't pre-heat!  Let it bake for about 30 minutes then turn the oven off but leave the mug in there to cool.   In the original post I read, the blogger had some trial and error and found that there is less of a chance of cracking if you let the mug heat up and cool down with the oven.  Also, most posts will say to heat it up to 350 but according to the previously mentioned trial and error, that temp didn't always work out.   She had also said that some colors might fade so keep that in kind.  The silver and gold that I used did not fade but originally went on a bit thin so I'm going to try going over it again and re-baking it.  I don't know if that will help or not but I'll let you know.

I'm going to go ahead and say, poor artistry aside, I nailed this craft.  I drew on a mug with Sharpie, baked it, washed it, and then used it and nothing wore off which is the general idea. 

And on that bombshell, it's time to end.  Thank you and goodnight!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.;)
    Lovely greets Nessa
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete