Sunday, February 17, 2013

Nailed it or Failed it

It's Pinterest day!!!  I have been hitting the Pinterest app pretty hard this week trying to figure out what I wanted to do for this weeks post.  I found tons of clothes and recipes but no such luck in the DIY department.  So today I went for something a little different.   Lately I have been so frustrated with my counter space to makeup ratio.  I've been using a hanging Victorias Secret makeup bag because my very limited counter space (a) doesn't really allow traditional makeup organizers and (b) has been overrun with hair products.  Today I decided to fix all of that.  I don't have one specific Pinterest post to refer you to because it's more of a collective thing I guess.  I just took a few ideas from different posts and threw in a couple of my own and while I'm still not 100% satisfied, it looks a million times better.  

Here's a before picture-

Look at that mess.  Anyways, I started with a fresh slate by taking everything down.  The only things I left are the necklaces and headbands hanging from the towel rack.  Then I started the basics.  These are the things that will always be on the counter, no matter what.


I used the same fish tank rocks in my new toothbrush/comb/random things holder as I did in my makeup brush holder.  And then there's my hair clips and ties.

But here was the fun part, trying to figure out how to organize and get my makeup out of the bag and on to the counter.


I decided to stick with a glass jar theme.  Now, this isn't all of my makeup, I definitely paired down when I was emptying out my bag and I also keep a small bag in my purse of my most used items.


Here's where I get crafty, I made the stand you see in the corner.  I took two candle stick holders and two circle mirrors that are also supposed to be for candles and stacked them together.  If you're making one, try turning the candle stick holder upside down.  Mine had a much wider base so it took up more room.  Once I figured out the placement I wanted I used a hot glue gun to glue it all together.  Sturdy as a slightly wobbly rock.


And here's after picture.  I forgot to take a picture of my new goo storage but it's just an old basket I had laying around and it's now packed full and stationed on the back of the toilet.

I spent a total of $20.97 on this project.  All of the glass jars, besides the tall one for the toothbrushes, and the stuff for the stand I bought from the Dollar tree.  The tall one I got from Michael's.  The total cost also included a hot glue gun and some glue sticks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment