Monday, January 7, 2013

Manic(ure) Monday!

It's Monday again, folks!  This is seriously the highlight of my day.  I mean, Monday's in the pharmacy are rough!  But I look forward to when I get to come home and do my nails (if I haven't already which is usually the case) and then post about my endeavors.   

Last week I got some Nutra Nail Gel Perfect.  This stuff is normally like $13.99.  Uhm, no thanks!!  But (!!!) I picked up this specific color on clearance for $3.99.   It comes in a few different colors but only four of them were on clearance and none of them were a color I'd normally pick.  (I'm partial to purple and glitter.)  I finally settled on Flame, you'll see here soon enough but it's basically a bright orange-red.  I figured that the stuff was cheap enough and would be a good mix up on the blog because I could do my manicure AND a product review at once!



This is what the package looks like.  See that bright red?!



So it's a 3 part process.  Once all your nails are prepped they way you normally would for any polish you brush on the activator.  It's that white bottle on the far right.  Now, this stuff is basically nail glue.  Seriously, check the ingredients.  Then while your nails are still wet from the activators brush on a thin layer of the color (middle bottle).  The color mixes with the activator and I'm guess that's what makes it so hard.  When you are done with the first hand, wipe the brush off on a paper towel and put it in the third bottle, take the brush from the third bottle and but it in the color.  The third bottle is just a cleaner, because we are working with pretty much nail glue, this step is crucial to keep the brush clean and soft.  Repeat those steps with the next hand then wait a few minutes.  This stuff sets up pretty quick.  Do all those same steps again for your second coat, including the activator!  And switch your brushes from color to cleaner after every hand.


And there's the finished product.  I actually really like the color too!  So far I'm impressed.  The box says "Sets rock solid in 5 minutes" and I believe it.  For the sake of testing the product, I haven't been nice to my nails since I painted them 45 minutes ago and there are no smudges or chips yet.  My only complaint is the clean-up.



I'm pretty messy when I paint my nails (see above picture) but I'm pretty good at the clean up so it works for me but because of the nail glue activator it really sticks to the skin.  I spent quite a bit of time with my nail polish remover and q-tip and got hardly anything clean.  I then decided to use the cleaner.  Yup, the same cleaner that came with it that we're using to clean the brushes.  It was kind of a DUH! moment when I thought of it.  Here I am putting these brushes in all the same stuff that's on my fingers and that cleaner cleans them COMPLETELY.  Well, my duh! moment paid off.  It cleans it up as quick as nail polish remover does with regular nail polish.  So I'd suggest using that if you get any (or all of it, like me) on your skin.

The real test starts now though.  I'm rough with my nails.  A normal manicure only lasts me a couple days before it's chipping.  This is supposed to last longer.  I'll keep you posted and let you know when I get my first chip.  

And on that bombshell, it's time to end. Goodnight!!!

(I know, I'm ripping off Top Gear [UK, of course] but that show is so good.  Even if you're not totally in to cars, I suggest it.  My grammie even watches it.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment